COVID-19: measures have been put in place by the Legal Aid Montreal | Laval
March 17th 2020 – Aide Juridique de Montréal | Laval is taking measures consistent with the decisions of the Government of Québec. As such, we are providing emergency services which concern the Courts while protecting the health of our teams, our clients and our partners in the legal community.
Our offices remain open but are operating with reduced staff. Please call us before you present yourself at one of our offices. We thank you for your collaboration, in order to allow us to offer urgent services.
For the clients represented by a Legal Aid lawyer
- Reception appointments have been cancelled. Only emergency appointments are maintained. To the best of our ability, if your appointment has been cancelled, we will try to contact you by phone in order to handle your application.
- Your lawyer is taking his or her voice messages and emails. Please do not present yourself at our offices and for communicating with your lawyer by email or telephone.
- Your lawyer will only be appearing in Court for urgent matters and will comply with the rules enacted by the Courts.
- Please call our offices if you have a question. We will inform you as to the procedures to follow in order to protect your rights.
For our partners in private practice
- To the best of our ability, we will handle your clients’ legal aid applications by telephone.
- For penal and criminal files: it is always possible for lawyers to send us an appearance call to protect the retroactive date. We will add the mention “Covid-19” to properly identify the file.
- For immigration files:
- We are maintaining the usual procedure for appointment requests or inmate visit, namely sending forms by fax in order to protect your retroactive date.
- Urgent files, namely Federal Court judicial reviews, the refugee appeal divisions and the clients on the verge of being expelled, will be handled by appointment.
- We will provide you with more specific information as soon as possible regarding the measures put in place to ensure our services in each of our offices.
- Please call our offices if you have a question. We will inform you as to the procedures to follow.
For the magistrate
- We are monitoring the courts’ activities and will maintain our presence in your courtrooms to the best of our ability.
Me Stéphanie Archambault | General Manager | [email protected] | 514.864-2111 extension 232